Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Books I've Been Reading

I always do a lot of reading when I have a newborn because I spend so much time sitting still while I nurse.  I've added some of my favorite recent reads to my virtual bookshelf.  I have been especially interested in autobiographies lately, and so there are several of those among my new favorite reads, including the autobiographies of Rosa Parks, Barack Obama, Joanna Brooks and Tina Fey.

Currently, I am almost finished reading the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.  Although I haven't quite finished this one, I have already deemed it worthy of my virtual shelf.  Henrietta Lacks is the person from whom the first living cell culture was taken.  (Since she is deceased, this is obviously a biography, not an autobiography, but I like those, too.) This is a fascinating read, very informative with regard to science, bioethics and social justice issues, but also just a great human interest story about people who live in my wealthy nation but seem to live in a different world because of their extreme poverty.

No comments:

Post a Comment