Thursday, June 18, 2009

Blogging about Facebook

The whole world was peer-pressuring me to join Facebook. Over the course of a few short weeks, several in-person friends pestered me about my failure to emerge as a Facebook Friend. At the same time, I was subjected to multiple seminars about how I should be using Facebook as a tool for health promotion (the kind of work I do).

When I finally registered for Facebook, I was shocked and delighted to see that I had Friends waiting for me. If you joined Facebook years ago like everyone else, you probably don't know that Facebook retains a list of people who tried to beFriend you before you joined the site. When you finally do join, Facebook recognizes your email address and greets you with a list of people willing to be your Friend, if you agree.

My delight at my unexpected popularity dampened a bit when I wrote my first post and realized what a teeny little text box I had to write in.

I can be succinct. Really. Brevity is one of the defining virtues of the field of health promotion. But darn it, in my personal life I reserve the right to be as long-winded as I please.

Joining Facebook led to happy reunions with many long-lost friends. My Friends were asking me, with questions short enough to fit into the little Facebook textbox, to update them on my life. I wanted to, but I couldn' t figure out how to summarize a full and rewarding life with a family, career, hobbies, and even Friends in such a miniature space.

So now I blog. So long, tiny textbox!

By the way, I still haven't managed to use Facebook for health promotion. Eat your veggies, Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment